Professional Accountancy (4 years, 240 ECTS, Bachelor of Arts) with concentrations:
Programme’s purpose and objectives
The programme aims at providing education and training in the functional disciplines of accounting and finance at honours degree level.
In formulating the programme, consideration was given to the possibility of earning exemptions from British Professional Chartered Accountancy Bodies, given that accountancy qualifications are primarily designed to help the business community meet its obligations for keeping accurate accounting records and for taking sound financial decisions. The programme took cognizance of the fact that academic courses offered at the College should prepare students to meet the practical needs of industry and the profession.
The aims of the programme are to:
- Provide quality education at a first degree level in accounting, finance, and the related disciplines;
- Provide an opportunity to obtain knowledge and expertise in accountancy and finance which will underwrite a student’s professional progress;
- Provide opportunities for continual improvement of teaching, research, and service skills.
- Develop an understanding of the concepts and analytical skills to study, report, and analyze business activities effectively;
- Develop a capacity for clear thought, critical appraisal, and sound judgement in evaluating Accounting situations and problems.
- Develop the ability to conceptualise problems, reasons critically and evaluate argument and evidence.
- Offer a curriculum that maps to the Cyprus Agency of Quality Assurance and Accreditation in Higher Education (CYQAA) academic benchmarks and yet satisfies the accreditation requirements of the ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA, AIA, the CPA, Australia and the CPA, Ireland, for examination and exemption purposes.
Intended learning outcomes in accordance with the European qualifications framework
On completion of this programme, graduates should be able to:
- Prepare and analyse financial and management accounts, statements and reports, and give appropriate advice;
- Demonstrate an understanding of the constraints on accountants and managers imposed by economics and legal factors;
- Prepare tax computations and give advice on personal and corporate tax issues;
- Apply financial management theory and techniques and give appropriate advice on financing, investment and distribution;
- Communicate and apply knowledge and understanding of the principles of business information systems management at an appropriate level;
- Apply the principles of internal and external auditing in relation to financial review, control, accountability, and assurance.
The blend of specific accounting and finance modules with a wider understanding of business gives the graduates both a strong foundation in the subjects and an application of how accounting and finance are applied in real – worth business situations.
Graduates with accounting and finance skills are in constant demand around the world, with graduates going to enjoy in a wide range of companies from the Professional Accountancy firms to large multinational operations.
With a high level of professional exemptions from the accredited British Accountancy Bodies, ICAEW, ACCA, CIMA, AIA, the CPA, Australia and the CPA, Ireland, this challenging course will help holders of the BA (Hons) degree to become qualified accountants, start work on a finance-related career or to proceed for higher degrees / research.
Programme’s language of instruction:
English is the language of instruction
The Philips academics are well-qualified and bring with them academic and business experience.
The College staff body is currently composed of the following:
- Poutos Evangelos, BA, MSc, PhD, Associate Professor of Accounting & Economics, Coordinator
- Andreou Christos, BSc, MSc, PhD, Lecturer in Quantitative Analysis, Deputy Coordinator
- Pipyros Kosmas, BA (Law), MSc, PhD, Assistant Professor in Law and IT
- Eriotou Eleftheria, BA, MA, PhD (cand.), Lecturer in Accounting & Finance
- Kazandjian Avo, BA, MBA, Lecturer in Business Administration
- Constantinou Soteris, BSc, MSc, Lecturer in Information Technology
- Karletides Demetrios, BA, MA, PhD (cand.), Lecturer in Management Studies
- Constantinou Despina, BA, MA, Lecturer in English Language
List of Compulsory and Elective Courses
BA Professional Accountancy