English as a Foreign Language
A one- year full-time course. The English language programme has been developed to assist prospective students to improve their proficiency in the English language. The entry requirement for direct entry to the programme is an IELTS 5.00 or an equivalent qualification.
Upon joining the programme students are required to take up to 25 hours of language instruction per week with the aim of enabling students to achieve an IELTS level of 6.0 – 6.5 by the end of the programme, and thereby allow direct entry to degree programmes of the Philips College.
Furthermore, as a general rule students who achieve the necessary IELTS level and obtain the required level of grades in the course modules of their main undergraduate programme of study are eligible for transfer (direct entry to the second year) to a number of English Speaking Universities to complete their undergraduate degrees.
Requirements for International Students
The Philips College welcomes applications from overseas students. In accordance with governmental requirements, overseas applicants wishing to apply for study at the Philips College should prepare the items numbered 1 – 10 below in order for an application for a visa to enter Cyprus to be accepted. All applicants should submit copies of documents 1–9 and item 10 to the College at least 6 weeks prior to the start of the semester. Documents marked with an asterisk * should not be more than 3 months old.
All items should be certified by the Embassy/Consulate of Cyprus and items 4-6 should be certified by The Ministry of Justice OR the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Items 7-8 (the Banker’s declaration statement should be certified by a Notary Public, and Item 9 (the Medical tests) should be certified by The Ministry of Health.
1. a fully completed application form;
2. a valid document confirming the level of English language proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS (IBT), etc.).
3. two passport size photographs with the applicant’s name written on the back;
4. a photocopy of the front pages of the applicant’s passport (valid for at least 2 years from the date of application);
5. a character reference from police*;
6. a certified copy of the translation in English of the original School Leaving Certificate & transcript of grades, giving evidence of a minimum of 12 years of education, with a Grade Point Average (GPA) 2.50 out of 5.00 for all courses, except Nursing for which a GPA of 2.60 is required; copies of a Diploma/Degree are also required for transfer students or entry to a higher Degree, where applicable an approved English language qualification (e.g. IELTS of 5.50, scoring at least 50% in the subject of English as a foreign language in the transcript or an equivalent qualification);
7. an original banker’s statement* (in the name of the student’s parents or sponsor) stating that applicants can meet their financial obligations amounting to a minimum of €7.000 per year; If bank account is on student’s parents or sponsor then an affidavit certificate is needed stating the relationship between the applicant and the sponsor;
8. an original analytical banker’s statement indicating that the student’s parents or sponsor maintains a balance of at least €7.000 or the equivalent amount in local currency to finance the students’ studies and living expenses in Cyprus. The statement must be on official, preprinted bank letterhead and must be issued one month before the application deadline. The name of the bank, address, telephone number, fax number, the email address must be clearly shown on the banker’s statement.
9. X-ray and Blood test results* for HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, Hepatitis (all forms) and Syphilis; Medical examinations can only be done by a governmental hospital. The contact details of the hospital and the officer that issued the certification must be shown on the documents;
10. an application fee of €100 (non-refundable) should be sent with the application.
*As soon as the Philips College receives documents numbered 1,2,3,4,6,10 provided that the applicant satisfies the admission requirements, a Conditional Letter of Acceptance will be issued to the applicant.
INDIA: All documents issued by Authorities in India when submitted in support of an application for the issue of an Entry Permit (Visa) must be original and must have the seal of the Convention of Haque (Apostile). Such documents do not need to be translated in Greek or English.
Upon the receipt of the requested documents (corrected, completed and attested), plus evidence of a swift transfer of a minimum tuition fees deposit of Euro €3,000, the College will apply to the Migration Department of the Republic of Cyprus for the student’s Entry Permit (Visa). Applications without a copy of a swift transfer and declaration certificates are not accepted by the Migration Department for an issue of an entry permit (visa).
PAKISTAN and BANGLADESH: Upon approval of the application of applicants from Pakistan and Bangladesh by the Migration Authority of Cyprus, applicants may attend the visa interview on a specified date at the Embassy/Consulate of Cyprus in their country. At the interview applicants will be expected to show all the original documents of the copies that were sent to the College plus the Acceptance Letter for study and the copy of the money transfer receipt received from the College. Students will also be expected to provide information about the academic intentions, educational background and their intended course of study.
NATIONALS OF EU COUNTRIES: Applicants who are nationals of EU countries can enter the Republic of Cyprus as visitors. On arrival at the Philips College they must submit to the Admission Office the following documents:
1. a fully completed application form;
2. an application fee of Euro 100 (non-refundable);
3. attested (certified true) copies of their academic qualifications;
4. evidence of proficiency in English (if available);
5. a photocopy of their passport. The passport should be valid for at least two years from the date of their arrival to Cyprus;
6. a recent certificate of good conduct issued by the police of the candidate’s country of origin or residence, if necessary translated in Greek or English.
The Philips College
The Hellenic Bank
Swift (BIC) HEBACY2N
Nicosia – Cyprus
The Philips College
RETAIL CURRENT ACC CCA EUR
Nicosia – Cyprus
If the application is accepted, the student will be provided with a visa to enter Cyprus. Students are then required to transfer to the College any balance of all agreed fees owed to the Philips College prior to travel to Cyprus. Students must carry all original stamped documents to the Embassy/Consulate of Cyprus and upon arrival at the port of immigration are required to provide evidence of foreign exchange amounting to a minimum of Euro 2,000 (e.g. tuition deposit receipts, cash, bankers draft etc.).
Once registered students are expected to undergo a new medical examination, obtain medical insurance and open a bank account as part of immigration procedures necessary to obtain a temporary residence permit to study in Cyprus.
All students need to prove that they are free from HIV, Hepatitis B and C, Syphilis and Tuberculosis. If a student is found to be HIV-positive and/or positively diagnosed as a Syphilis and /or active tuberculosis and/or Hepatitis B and C carriers then he/she will be deported from the Republic of Cyprus as his/her own expense